Posted this on startsat50.com
This is part 6 of the 7 part series. In this one it talks about stress and its effect on obesity. It also talks about becoming aware of what we are eating, they call it mindfulness.
Have you ever:
- Kept eating just because there was food left on the table?
- Sat and ate a complete meal, knowing that you are full and kept “nibbling” on bread or the tortilla chips at a Mexican restaurant?
- Ordered dessert just because you knew it would taste good, even though you were not hungry?
- Had a bad day and grabbed the first bag of chips you could find and just plopped down in front of the TV because “you deserved it”?
I have, to all of those. I kept reading in Kris Gunnars’ very interesting e-book “Vicious Eating.” In Part 3 he talks about food addictions. He lists his 8 symptoms of food addiction as the following:
- Cravings despite being full
- Eat much more than you intended to
- Eat until feeling excessively “stuffed” (Binge)
- Feel guilty afterwards, but do it again soon
- Making up excuses in your head
- Repeated failures of setting rules
- Hiding your consumption from others
- Unable to quit despite physical problems
This list just floored me, not only does it describe most of my eating habits, but if you change food to another of my addictions, it nails it perfectly.
The reason I started this blog is because I need and want to do something about it now, right now. No more excuses. A blogging friend of mine has also started a new website called Glory Begin, a very spiritual look at starting over or starting now, or just starting period. With stress being a factor in obesity, Allison’s web site will come in handy.
One of the things that I want to get into more is meditation and she talks about it all the time on her blog. Today was her first day with her website so go check it out, it is pretty awesome, and no she is not paying me to say that! 🙂
I decided to go back to the gym today, went this morning by myself and walked a mile on the treadmill (it’s a start), then after my daughter got out of school we went back up there for a little while this afternoon. Being mindful is so important, that is why I am trying to learn as much as I can from these videos and books, it makes walking through the grocery store an entirely different experience. Actually started reading ingredients on some items while trying to stay out of old ladies pushing grocery carts, they can be dangerous!